Molecular Mechanisms of Disease
Our broaden scientific question tackles the mechanisms underlying ischemia-reperfusion events in brain cells, and we aim to protect the brain tissue by targeting several cellular processes: apoptosis, inflammation, autophagy, metabolic shifts, redox signaling and neuronal differentiation. The final objective is to integrate this knowledge and to develop new approaches for protecting brain tissue based on:
(i) the cytoprotective function of carbon monoxide /hemeoxygenase
(ii) the activation of endogenous mechanisms of defense by remote ischemic conditioning.
How remote ischemic conditioning can protect brain against ischemia? Carbon monoxide modulation of glial cell function
Out of the 3 published papers the Figueiredo- Pereira et al. Redox Biology 2020 is a review paper that summarizes a newly found biological function of carbon monoxide: modulation of cell metabolism by targeting oxidative phosphotylarion and pentose phosphate pathway. In 2012 our goup was pioneer in showing CO modulation of cell metabolism, since then several other research groups have demonstrated this CO function.
- Remote ischemic post-conditioning in acute phase of ischemic stroke: disclosing novel circulating biomarkers and clinical trial for improving outcome - PTDC/MEC-NEU/28750/2017, Total funding € 239 900 - PI: Helena L A Vieira and Co-PI: Miguel Viana-Baptista
- Translational and mechanistic approaches on carbon monoxide as a modulator of neuroinflammation and neuroprotection in glial cells - FCT-ANR/NEU-NMC/0022/2012, Total funding € 249 000 - Funded by “Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia” and “Agence Nationale pour la Recherche” - PI: Helena L.A. Vieira and Roberto Motterlini
- Mechanisms of cardioprotection by berries driven polyphenols - ANR-FCT/BEX-BCM/0001/2013, Total funding € 187 800 - Funded by “Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia” and “Agence Nationale pour la Recherche” - PI: Cláudia Santos (iBET) and Catherine Brenner (Université de Paris-Sud), Helena L Vieira responsible for one task
- Preconditioning triggered by Carbon monoxide: new strategies to prevent brain damage due to hypoxia-ischemia and reperfusion, PTDC/SAU-NEU/089747/2008, Total funding € 100 000 - PI: Helena L A Vieira
- Carbon monoxide as neuroprotector against hypoxia-ischemia and reperfusion - PTDC/SAU-NEU/64327/2006, Total funding € 125 000 – PI: Helena L A Vieira
Figueiredo-Pereira, C; Dias-Pedroso, D; Soares, NL; Vieira, HLA. 2020. CO-mediated cytoprotection is dependent on cell metabolism modulation. Redox Biology, 32, DOI: 10.1016/j.redox.2020.101470
Osório, Daniel Noronha; Viana-Soares, Ricardo; Marto, João Pedro; Mendonça, Marcelo D.; Silva, Hugo P.; Quaresma, Cláudia; Viana-Baptista, Miguel; Gamboa, Hugo; Vieira, Helena L. A.. 2019. Autonomic nervous system response to remote ischemic conditioning: heart rate variability assessment. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders, 19, DOI: 10.1186/s12872-019-1181-5
Oudot, Carole; Gomes, Andreia; Nicolas, Valérie; Le Gall, Morgane; Chaffey, Philippe; Broussard, Cédric; Calamita, Giuseppe; Mastrodonato, Maria; Gena, Patrizia; Perfettini, Jean Luc; Hamelin, Jocelyne; Lemoine, Antoinette; Fischmeister, Rodolphe; Vieira, Helena L.A.; Santos, Claudia N.; Brenner, Catherine. 2019. CSRP3 mediates polyphenols-induced cardioprotection in hypertension. JOURNAL OF NUTRITIONAL BIOCHEMISTRY, 66, DOI: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2019.01.001
Dias-Pedroso, Daniela; Guerra, Joel; Gomes, Andreia; Oudot, Carole; Brenner, Catherine; Santos, Cláudia N.; Vieira, Helena L.A.. 2019. Phenolic Metabolites Modulate Cardiomyocyte Beating in Response to Isoproterenol. Cardiovascular Toxicology, 19, DOI: 10.1007/s12012-018-9485-8